Keeping promises isn’t really my forté at the moment – after our apple-picking party I may have mentioned that I’d post some recipes for the desserts later that week. And then I didn’t. Sigh. Next thing you know we’ll be forced to endure trust-fall exercises together.
This Apple Cinnamon Cake was the most requested recipe from the day; I used muffin tins here but they will bake up just as beautifully in a loaf pan. It’s also vegan, if you do so happen to care about that type of thing.
APPLE CINNAMON CAKE (adapted from this recipe)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup kamut flour (you could also use spelt, etc)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup coconut sugar
a pinch of salt
3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into small chunks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup applesauce (despite the million trees in our backyard, I got lazy and used the jarred stuff)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 325 F and grease a loaf pan or place liners into a muffin tin (will make 10-12 little cakes).
2. Whisk all dry ingredients (the first nine on the list) together in a large bowl.
3. Add the chopped apples and stir to combine, then add all the wet ingredients save for the lemon juice.
4. Stir everything well, then add lemon and blend it through the batter.
5. Pour batter into your baking receptacle of choice and bake til a toothpick inserted in the cake’s centre comes out clean. It will be about 45-50 minutes for the loaf and closer to 30 minutes for the cupcakes.
6. Cool cake(s) on a rack. Can be stored covered at room temperature for a couple of days, or wrapped and frozen.
ps. If you’re looking for more desserts, you may also like the Lemon Cream Tart and the Aperol Float. I swear I actually do way more savoury cooking than I do baking, although you certainly wouldn’t know it by the blog’s recipe track-record.