Do you ever pause, realize you’ve been sitting at the computer for over two hours and think, ‘what am I doing with my life?’ This might be one of those times. Alas, alack.
I was going to write a post reflecting on pregnancy and motherhood, now that I’m just two weeks out from my due date. Instead, I bring you the next instalment of ‘style icons’ in which we look at wardrobe through the lens of Adventures in Babysitting, aka the best movie of 1987.
Elisabeth Shue plays Chris Parker, the reluctant babysitter, and still to this day I think she’s one of the most beautiful women around. Back then, I wanted to be her. Now, I want to update her outfit of casual basics with versions in luxe fabrics and cooler cuts. Because frankly Chris, you deserve better.
Don’t f*ck with the babysitter.
1. Colorblock Streetcar Coat, Madewell. The oversized camel coat gets a modern makeover in this menswear-inspired two-tone number. Want.
2. Vintage Gold Wash Pin, via Ruby Lane. Less 1980s, more 1880s as far as vintage accessories go.
3. Eribe Loop Scarf, via Anthropologie. The rainbow scarf is, admittedly, a tough piece to pull off. This pure wool version is an improvement?
4. J Brand Mid-Rise Super Skinny Jean, via Revolve.
5. Champion Originals Leather Sneakers, Keds. Keds are so uncool they’re cool, right? (I own this exact pair)
6. Diane Von Furstenburg Jenia Sweater, via Matches. If you’re going to rock a fuchsia sweater, at least do it in slouchy cashmere.
7. Claudia Leather Gloves, Club Monaco. Buttery, sleek, Italian. Want, pt 2.