Let’s talk about beauty products! Because, well, I mean why not.
I’m always somewhat fascinated to hear what other people use on their skin so here I shall assume that said fascination flows both ways (otherwise I’m just going to look really narcissistic).
A few years ago I started phasing out all the chemical junk I’d been using and I’ve become very particular about the products I now buy. So particular that walking down the aisles in a typical drugstore these days makes me feel like I’m breaking out in hives or something.
I discovered my absolute favourite source for organic beauty, Saffron Rouge, and that’s where I do much of my (online) shopping. I really can’t say enough good things about this company – their product selection, customer service, free samples, etc are truly excellent (nobody’s paying me to write any of this, by the way). And I think if you’re willing to spend a little money on truly natural, top quality brands, they will do the job. Of course everybody has their own particular skincare regime that works, but behold the splendour in the grass and see what I’m using right now:
1. Suki Exfoliate Foaming Facial Cleanser – I’m a big fan of many Suki products and this is one of their best-sellers. I use it at night and it gently exfoliates my skin while smelling like fresh lemons.
2. Living Nature Vitalising Cleanser – this is my face-wash for the morning, when I can get it together to do the whole skincare routine (sometimes it’s just jump outta bed and listen to the rantings of a three year old and make breakfast and pack the school lunch and then whoops it’s noon). Living Nature products tend to be quite gentle and have a particular ‘natural’ scent that’s not for everyone, but I love them. The brand is slowly being phased out from Saffron Rouge, which is a shame (the company is based in New Zealand and there’s some sort of change afoot re: their North American distribution) but you can find their full range of products here.
3. Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum – my sister turned me on to this line and I’m hooked although I will admit upfront that the products are the most expensive I’ve used, so I try to have just one in rotation at a time. This anti-aging serum is more like a light lotion that smells divine and blends into your skin so creamy and smooth. I actually smile a little whenever I put it on. Probably because I look so young again? I have no idea. Available in Canada at Good Gosh Beauty.
4. Burt’s Bees Anti-Blemish Spot Treatment – it’s just occurred to me that perhaps I should have photographed these products going clockwise in the order I actually use them…* BB’s is owned by Clorox which doesn’t thrill me but I roll this tea tree-based oil onto any pimples and it does its thing.
5. John Masters Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 – please tell me you are applying a facial sunscreen every day. My fear of looking like a brown dried prune in the near future scares me into wearing this, which is very highly rated by EWG and doesn’t leave a weird white residue like many other non-chemical sunscreens.
6. Living Nature Illuminating Foundation – this falls more into the category of makeup, but I do use it every day as my last skincare regime step. It doesn’t actually offer much coverage like a foundation, but rather just adds a really lovely subtle glow to your skin. I’m convinced that whenever I get compliments on my complexion, it’s largely because of this product.
7. Elabloom Nourishing Facial Oil – I was initially skeptical of the whole ‘oil as moisturizer’ concept that has become a recent trend but let me assure you I am full-on converted. This is a wonderful product and made in Toronto to boot.
8. Suki Clarifying Toner – another great Suki product, with just the right amount of astringency and their signature lemony scent.
On the hunt for: a good eye cream.
And there you have it. This is apparently what takes up so much of my time – applying skincare products. A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. Next time – natural makeup?
* In order of application: Suki exfoliating cleanser or Living Nature cleanser (P.M. and A.M.), Suki toner, Tata Harper serum, Burt’s Bee’s spot treatment, Elabloom oil, John Masters sunscreen (A.M.), Living Nature foundation (A.M.).